A Computer is a General-purpose machine, commonly consisting of digital circuitry, that’ accepts (inputs), stores, manipulates, and generates (outputs) data as numbers, text, graphics, voice, video files, or electrical signals, in accordance with instructions called a program.
Father of the computer - Charles Babbage
Father of the modern computer - Alan Turing
Basic Architecture of Computer: John Von Neumann
First Programmer: Lady Ada Augusta
First Electronic Computer: ENIAC-I(1946) - J.P. Ekart & J.W. Moschley
First computer for the home use introduced - IBM in 1981
- MAIN PARTS OF COMPUTER
- BASIC STRUCTURE OF CPU
- OUTPUT DEVICES
- MOTHERBOARD: A motherboard is the main circuit board inside a computer that connects the different parts of a computer together. It has sockets for the CPU. RAM and expansion cards (example discrete graphics cards, sound cards, network cards, storage cards, etc.) and it also hook up to hard drives, and front panel ports with cables and wires, also known as mainboard, system board.
- DEVELOPMENT and CLASSIFICATION OF COMPUTER
- NETWORKING AND INTERNET
- IMPORTANT COMPUTER ABBREVIATIONS
- IMPORTANT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
- MICROSOFT OFFICE - Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- COMPUTER SECURITY
- COMPUTER TERMINOLOGIES
- SOME IMPORTANT FILE EXTENSIONS
.doc → Microsoft Word document
.ppt → PowerPoint presentation
.bmp → bitmap image file
.jpg → JPEG image
.xls → excel spreadsheet
.exe → windows executable file
.bak → backup file
- SOFTWARE: The programs and other operating information used by a computer.
- Operating System Software- An Operating System (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common service The operating system is a component of the system software in a computer system.
- Functions of Operating System - The basic functions of an operating system are: Booting the computer, perform basic computer Example, managing the various peripheral devices example Mouse, keyboard, provides user interface. Example, command line, graphic user interface (GUI).
- Spreadsheet Software- Software interface consisting of an interactive grid made up of cells in which data or formulas are entered for analysis or presentation.
- Word Processors- The program of machine for storing, manipulating and formatting from a keyboard and providing a printout.
- Compiler- A compiler is a computer program (or set of programs) that transforms source code written in a programming language (the source language) into another computer language (the target language), with the latter often having a binary form known as object code.
- Interpreter- A program that can analyse and execute a program line by line.
- Database Management System- Software that handles the storage, retrieval and updating of data in a computer system.
- Antivirus Software- Antivirus software prime all set of programs that are designed to prevent, search for, and remove software viruses and other malicious software like worms, Trojans, adware and more.
- Boot- The boot process is the name for the various steps the computer takes after you turn it on, all the way until the operating system is loaded.
- Cold Boot- The startup of a computer from a power down or off state, also called a hard boot.
- Warm Boot- Restarting computer via the operating system.